Newscasts

PNS Daily Newscast - February 20, 2019 


Sen. Bernie Sanders enters the 2020 race for president. Also, on the Wednesday rundown: Tuition or meals? We take you to a state where college students fight food insecurity. Plus, another state's attempt to legalize hemp.

Daily Newscasts

Election Day Reminders for Montanans

November 2, 2009

BOZEMAN, Mont. - Montanans could change the history books with a higher-than-usual voter turnout tomorrow. City council and commission races will be decided, but since there are no national or statewide elections going on, turnout could be on the low side.

Theresa Keaveny, executive director of the Montana Conservation Voters Education Fund says it shouldn't be, though, because city elected officials have the most direct effect on day-to-day life.

"They make decisions on parks, how our communities grow and develop, recycling, waste management, transportation, trails, open space - the things that matter most to us."

In several communities, all ballots were mailed to voters for this election. Keaveny says they're hoping to inspire more voters to fill them out.

"In some communities, over 40 percent of those ballots have been returned, which is good, but we want to ensure that the other 60 percent don't overlook their ballots."

And she wants voters to take action if they did not receive a mailed ballot by going to their county election office. Those new to voting in all-mailed-ballot communities can also go to the county election office to make their votes count.

Montanans can register and vote up to and on Election Day tomorrow. Keaveny's organization has more information on voter rules at mtvotersedfund.org, or Montanans can go to
sos.mt.gov for information from the Secretary of State's Office.

Deb Courson, Public News Service - MT