PORTLAND, Ore. -- Far-right groups could be active over the Independence Day weekend, prompting the Department of Homeland Security to release a bulletin warning of the possibility of "extremist violence," according to a document obtained by ABC News.
Stephen Piggott, program analyst at the Western States Center, said some arrests have been made of leaders of groups active in the Northwest that led the Jan. 6 insurrection, like the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys.
"But that hasn't deterred these groups, and the groups that they work with, from continuing to organize and mobilize at the local level," Piggott cautioned. "And we're seeing that happen in cities across Oregon almost on a weekly basis now, which is really disturbing."
Rallies are planned for the weekend in Oregon, many a continuation of past events protesting COVID-19 health measures. Piggott noted Salem has been the epicenter of far-right violence since protesters broke into the Oregon Capitol on Dec. 21.
A major concern about the groups is their appeal to veterans. On July 4, a military-led group is holding what it calls a "Coalition to Defend America" rally in Florida.
Dan Barkhuff, a former Navy SEAL, leads Veterans for Responsible Leadership, a super PAC.
He said they want to counteract the draw of far-right groups to veterans who come home from service.
"These extremist organizations are providing something to these veterans, which is number one, a sense of belonging, and number two, kind of this camaraderie," Barkhuff explained. "So, our goal is to redefine patriotism and to compete with these organizations in their own communities."
George Black is a researcher who reports on the connections between the conspiracy theories that fueled the Capitol insurrection in January, and the grievances of right-wing military officers after the Vietnam War.
He said the events at the Capitol are just one part of a longer-term effort by far-right, anti-government groups to gain political power.
"It's part and parcel with the movement to suppress voting rights in Republican-led states," Black observed. "It's about replacing local officials who are in a position to certify or decertify future elections. It's very much with an eye on 2022 and taking Congress back."
get more stories like this via email
State legislatures across the country have reconvened, with many expected to take up election policy, including Minnesota.
At the state Capitol, Democrats have gained more control and are pursuing efforts such as automatic voter registration and restoring the voting rights of felons after their release. The plans coincide with broader democracy concerns amid the continued fallout from the 2020 presidential vote.
Annastacia Belladonna-Carrera, executive director of Common Cause Minnesota, said expanding voting access is always a good thing, but added the work needs to be done with precision.
"For us, it's not just about the title of the bill, it's not just about the concept of the bill," Belladonna-Carrera explained. "It's about those nooks and crannies that really speak to meaningful maximization of transparency, accountability, rights."
Belladonna-Carrera acknowledged moving too quickly can lead to unintended consequences. She feels a single, unforeseen negative effect would be enough for fringe groups to perpetuate false claims of systemic election problems.
One example she cited is restoring voting rights for felons, suggesting it can't come with a range of hurdles to complete. A bill advancing in the House provides an individual with a voter registration application upon release.
Belladonna-Carrera understands Democrats feel a sense of urgency because of their majorities and how things might change with future election cycles. She added the plans being floated so far appear promising. But she argued the desire to make voting accessible to everyone should always be there, no matter who is in charge.
"We have a responsibility and an opportunity to act every single time -- under our state constitution -- that legislative body is at play," Belladonna-Carrera contended.
Other election bills up for consideration include enhancing penalties for threatening or intimidating election workers while removing roadblocks to funding for local election administrators.
Republican lawmakers have been reluctant to support the ideas, arguing election law changes in Minnesota have largely been bipartisan efforts. But around the country, Republican-led legislatures have sought to restrict voting access in recent years.
Support for this reporting was provided by The Carnegie Corporation of New York.
get more stories like this via email
Governor Ned Lamont's State of the State speech addressed numerous issues affecting the state, but some felt it did not go far enough. Lamont spoke about growing the state's workforce to fill vacant jobs, a middle-class tax cut, and rising housing and health-care costs.
According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, 66% of Connecticut's extremely low-income renters are severely cost burdened.
Tom Swan, executive director with Connecticut Citizen Action Group, said there are other issues facing the state Lamont should have addressed, one being inequality.
"I think the governor should put forward a proposal to cut poverty in half over the next four years," Swan said. "I think he should make a commitment to getting every child a real equal opportunity through education. I think Connecticut should be a real leader, in terms of climate justice."
Swan added health-care corporations do not need to prioritize profits to make health care affordable. He said the big highlight of the speech was Lamont acknowledging there is a housing affordability problem in the state.
Overall, he remained confident there will be movement on these issues, but he is not sure how much will be done in the course of one year.
While the speech addressed numerous issues plaguing the state, Swan said bolder solutions should be used, including keeping free bus transit and continuing to expand the state's public health program.
"The governor has shown a willingness to do some things in these areas," Swan said. "It's just, I don't think that he's been bold enough and fought hard enough for them. It's more of a caretaker type of approach as opposed to addressing the root problems."
He said Lamont has the political capital to make change happen in bolder ways, and referred to Lamont's 2006 campaign for the U.S. Senate, saying the message was to rock the boat. But, he said, this speech did not advocate for that, and instead stayed the course on statewide issues.
get more stories like this via email
Events to mark the two-year anniversary of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol take place today across the Commonwealth, including in historic Concord, just steps from where the American Revolution began.
A silent candlelight vigil is planned this evening at Concord's Monument Square to honor those who lost their lives or were injured in the insurrection. On Saturday, community members will rally near the First Parish and Wright Tavern, where Minutemen gathered in 1775 to plan their fight for American independence.
Diane Proctor, a member of the group Concord Indivisible's steering committee, said she hopes the event reminds people that democracy is not a spectator sport.
"It's all too easy to simply sit back and think, 'it's all fine, it's all going to be wonderful.' It's not going to be," she said, "unless each of us takes responsibility."
Participants will have the chance to sign a banner to be sent to U.S. Attorney General Marrick Garland, encouraging him to pursue criminal charges related to evidence gathered by the House Jan. 6 Committee.
U.S. Rep. Katherine Clark, D-Mass., the House Democratic whip, is expected to join Saturday's rally, as well as some state lawmakers and community leaders. Proctor said people will share their personal stories of Jan. 6, 2021, and views on how communities can work locally to ensure that democracy remains safe and secure.
"Whether it's through making sure all people can vote, making sure that all people are represented in our system," she said, "to assure that the best instincts of our country can prevail."
The House Jan. 6 Committee has endorsed an overhaul of the Electoral Count Act, which former President Donald Trump and his allies tried to manipulate in an attempt to remain in office. The committee also recommended enforcement of the 14th Amendment's ban on insurrectionists holding office.
Proctor said it will take an active and engaged citizenry to ensure the committee's recommendations are honored.
Support for this reporting was provided by the Carnegie Corporation of New York.
get more stories like this via email