Thursday, March 23, 2023

Play

A proposed flavored tobacco ban is back on the table in Minnesota, Trump attorney Evan Corcoran must testify in the documents probe, and a "clean slate" bill in Missouri would make "expungement" automatic.

Play

The Fed raises interest rates and reassures the banking system is sound, Norfolk Southern reaffirms a commitment to the people of East Palestine, and TikTok creators gather at the Capitol to support free expression.

Play

Finding childcare is a struggle everywhere, prompting North Carolina's Transylvania County to try a new approach. Maine is slowly building-out broadband access, but disagreements remain over whether local versus national companies should get the contracts, and specialty apps like "Farmers Dating" help those in small communities connect online.

COVID-Related Crisis Continues for Animals, Animal Shelters

Play

Thursday, December 8, 2022   

Adopting a pet was a lifesaver for many people isolated during the pandemic. Two years later, many animal shelters, including those in Albuquerque, face crisis-level intakes with decreased adoptions.

Carolyn Ortega, director of animal welfare for the Albuquerque Animal Welfare Department, said despite a Black Friday event, which saw 157 of 900 animals adopted, about 55 new animals are surrendered each day, making it difficult to keep up.

The problem started with the pandemic, according to Ortega, when almost three million neuter/spay surgeries were not performed.

"Which basically caused a domino effect," Ortega explained. "Resulting in multiple litters being born in 2020 and 2021, so we're seeing the results of that."

She noted some animals have been at the Albuquerque shelter for six months to a year, which can cause them to develop emotional or behavioral problems.

Research shows 75% of people surrendering animals are not doing so because of a behavioral issue or because they do not want the pet. Ortega stressed right now, a downturn in the economy is a contributing factor because many are downsizing from homes to apartments.

"Some of the larger dogs are being brought in because they don't have the yard space anymore that they had with the home," Ortega pointed out. "Or the apartment that they're moving into has such a high deposit for anyone who's bringing in an animal."

The Albuquerque animal shelters will participate in a "Holiday Happiness" adoption event this weekend, Friday through Sunday. Ortega added adoption fees, vaccinations, microchipping and spay/neuter services will all be free.

"They get a first dog training, and then their first vet visit is paid for as well," Ortega emphasized. "It's covered through the adoption, so it's almost like we're paying you to take a pet and all we're asking is that you give them a loving home."

The Albuquerque shelter is defined as no-kill, meaning 90% of the animals are adopted, leaving about 10% subject to euthanization.


get more stories like this via email
In 2020, 35% of Idaho mothers had Medicaid at the time of their child's birth. (WavebreakMediaMicro/Adobe Stock)

Social Issues

With concerning trends emerging for pregnant and postpartum women, frustration is growing that Idaho lawmakers could end the session without …


Health and Wellness

Health advocates are promoting a package of bills this legislative session to make health care easier to get - and more affordable. The Care 4 All …

Social Issues

A new study from the University of New Hampshire found New England's LGBTQ+ residents experience higher rates of food insufficiency, the measure of …


According to the Center for American Progress, nearly nine in 10 employers, four in five landlords, and three in five colleges use background checks to screen for applicants' criminal records. (Yurii Kibalnik/Adobe Stock)

Social Issues

A large percentage of Missourians who could to have their criminal records "expunged" have not done so, despite the effects expungement -- referred …

Social Issues

A person's work personnel file can be important to review, but some Washingtonians are finding them hard to obtain. A bill in Olympia would ensure …

The most recent Farm Bill covered areas such as agricultural conservation, trade and foreign food assistance, farm credit and research. (Adobe Stock)

Environment

The U.S. Farm Bill is up for reauthorization, and Congress faces calls to avoid any delays so certain programs can keep helping farmers and consumers …

Social Issues

Youth advocates continue to sound the alarm over the impact flavored tobacco products have on teenagers, and hope Minnesota lawmakers take another …

Environment

As wildfire seasons in Colorado and across the American West become longer, less predictable and increasingly destructive, a new report aims to …

 

Phone: 303.448.9105 Toll Free: 888.891.9416 Fax: 208.247.1830 Your trusted member- and audience-supported news source since 1996 Copyright 2021